CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Laundry still has to be done in paradise...

Yes its true: here in paradise laundry does pile up, vacuuming has to get done, the bathroom gets dirty, dishes get left in the sink, or in the drying rack (no dishwasher here) etc. etc. etc....

Who knew? From the look of things around here earlier today you would have to assume that no one in this household understood that things don't just happen on their own, the laundry lady doesn't magically come and collect all the dirty clothes from various places such as the floor, the couch, the shelf above the closet, and sometimes even in the laundry hamper, take them away to get washed, dried, folded, and hung up or put back in the drawers. The bathroom boy doesn't secretly sneak in and clean the toilet, sink and shower. And there's no one around to clean up the kitchen or the rest of the house for that matter!

So today I decided it was about time to take care of some of these chores that haven't been done in a while, or even if they had been done recently (the kitchen) it was time yet again to be done. I've finished the laundry, which automatically cleans up the bedroom so thats nice! But every time I do the laundry I always tell myself I need to do the laundry more often so there isn't such a huge pile to do! Not having a washer and dryer in the apartment makes it a lot harder to do tons of laundry at one time... I have to carry it all the way down to the laundry room in hopes that there is a washer (or six... yes six... I had six loads of laundry to do) available. They do have a sign up saying there is a limit of six machines that can be used at one time by one person.... I always used to look at that and think that was crazy and that I could never have six loads of wash to do at one time, I mean really... two people? how could two people have that much to wash? Today I get to blame it on all the towels, and sheets I washed. We do use a TON of towels around here... from the bath towels to the beach towels to the kitchen towels to the pool... we're in the water a lot and I washed them all today (I even got that dirty towel out of the back of Tank that has been sitting there getting rained on and dried out in the sun only to get rained on and dried out in the sun over and over again for who knows how long). Along with all the towels, I washed probably 3 sets of sheets... I didn't want to sleep in all the germs on the sheets that we're on the bed this weekend while I was sick, along with those I had let the sheets pile up from when we had visitors so it was time to wash those as well. I also have a sheet covering the cushions on the couch, and a sheet that we use sometimes to redirect the wind into our apartment when it gets hot (we open the screen door put the sheet over the door so instead of the wind going right through it, the gets redirected right into our living room/kitchen... it actually works pretty well). And then there was just a normal amount of dirty clothes. Stuart was able to help bring the laundry down to the laundry room but then he was off to class... It took me 4 or 5 trips back and forth just to get the clean clothes/towels/sheets up to the apartment where I could spend the next hour or so folding them and putting them away... (sigh)


So then I cleaned up the kitchen, did the dishes, thought about cleaning the bathroom, thought about vacuuming, but wasn't sure I had the energy to go down to the TVA office check out a vacuum, lug it up the stairs, vacuum, and drag it back down.... besides, I need to rest up before going to work and then work some more....

This was not me complaining at all I promise! I'm just feeling pretty good about the fact that I got so much done. I've decided out of all the chores I could do... Laundry is my least favorite (at least for now until we have our own washer and dryer someday) I think its because I have to drag it somewhere... and its not done for another hour and a half but you cant just leave because you have to change it to the dryer in 35 minutes and then wait some more. I also get really hot when I do it partially because I have to drag it back to the apartment and also the clothes are really hot when they come out! Cleaning the kitchen is my favorite.... doing the dishes and stuff... I get to turn up the music and just wash dishes for a bit. And cleaning up the kitchen is easy.... maybe because its so small =) What are your favorite and least favorite chores to do and why? I'm intersted to find out!


I think I've had a pretty productive day and its only half over!

12 comments:

Allison said...

Isaac has been sick the past two days so I haven't even left the house. You would think that I would at least have taken advantage of his naps and my time home to catch up on the housework... I did "process" (washed and dried) four loads of laundry, but that is as far as I got. That bring me to my least favorite chore...folding clean laundry. My favorite is vacuuming, but since we have hard wood floors I don't do much of that these days. :)

Allison said...

Sorry about the spelling errors. I didn't proof read before publishing my last comment.

Erika said...

I love the clothes on the bed picture. Reminds me of that blog of Mahina's with all that laundry on the couch.
Good work :-)
We love you guys & miss you tons.
oh-my favorite is washing dishes too. Something satisfying about a clean sink.

Erika said...

I told Mahina but thought I'd tell you too- -I went to the Newport Temple this morning (hit the 7am session) and as I was pulling in at about 6:35, I saw your dad walking by.
What a great way to start your morning! Fresh air & a walk by the temple.

Nana said...

Once I get to it - I like housework, because you can check things off your list, and see some results from all your work. My least favorite chore is dusting. I blame it on my mother making me dust every Saturday - but maybe it's because it doesn't really show unless you wait for the dust to really build up. Yep - got that one perfected.
Miss you -

The Foys said...

Oh, I am SO with you on this one! We have a washer and dryer in our apartment now, and I don't know that our laundry is getting done any faster then when we didn't. =) Life just gets busy, and I guess there are more fun things to do then laundry! =) But, like you, I have been really trying to be better at things around here!

I love Vacuuming! And cleaning our carpets with the carpet cleaner we STILL have of my parents (that we borrowed when we were in our first apartment. =) That is so fun!

You know what this post makes me want to see? Your apartment! I would love a photo tour!! =) Every pic I see that is taking in your apartment looks so cute! I would love to see the rest! =) ...Might be a fun idea for a post.

Well good luck tackling house hold tasks! Love ya!!

ashley said...

hey- it's friday and we are going to go bodysurf waimea this afternoon. i don't have your number or know where you live or i would come and bug you...so wanna come? call me or leave me a comment on my blog if you guys wanna come with!

Michal said...

i second andie's request to give us a photo tour of your apartment.
my favorite household chore? that's a tough one. because i don't particularly love any of them. does cooking count? what i love best is after the house is clean, or cozying up in a fresh-sheeted bed. the things that i don't necessarily love to do but that get to me first are vacuuming and mirrors--i can't handle the fingerprints and water spots on mirrors and the junk on the floor. which is too bad, since my four kiddos love to dirty mirrors and floors faster than i can clean them!:)
my least favorite? it has got to be scrubbing the bathtub and shower. i leave that for jared. when we first got married jared said he'd take bathrooms and mopping. he was great at doing both for years. he doesn't always do them now, but i will confess that when i clean the bathroom, i only wipe down the bathtub and figure that he'll get it the next time!

Malia said...

Yeah andie... from the different posts with pictures of our apartment you probably seen it all and just didnt know it! haha! I'll think about taking pictures once we have our apartment all cleaned up and looking nice! Sorry you may have to wait a while on that one!

mahina said...

i have a washer and dryer in house, but still don't like doing laundry and it doesn't get done often enough.

i don't really have a favorite chore because, well, it's a chore! i just need a maid that does it all! but since that won't happen, sadly enough it falls on me, but i am not at all oppossed to child labor! haha!

Anonymous said...

laundry!! i HATE it!! i think i wouldn't loahte it so much if i didnt have to walk somewhere to do it. i loved this post!!

The Tesimales said...

Ha your funny Malia. i always think that when i see those signs too. you got it done though yeah!!!