CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 1, 2008

It's coming around again...

That time of year is coming around again... Yes April 16.... taxes are due. This year I was thinking we could do it early and just get it out of the way. 2007 had so many different things going on that we decided that we would just have someone else do it... the problem is.... I don't think we've gotten all the paperwork we need. My biggest concern or question is about our summer, we worked for a company that went bankrupt, does anyone know how we deal with in terms of doing our taxes? We haven't gotten any w-2 forms or anything (Stuart was an independent contractor so that would be something other than W-2 but I'm pretty sure I am supposed to the w-2) sent from them... they no longer exist so I don't know what to do? Any suggestions?

I never liked doing taxes in general... but now with us having so many odd jobs and businesses and summer companies going bankrupt it gets even worse.

Anyone finished with their taxes yet? If so I envy you! If not good luck!

8 comments:

ashley said...

yuck taxes. i wish i knew anything to help you guys.

i deated your comment on my blog just so that your number is not out there for crazy people to read- there are some crazy people who read my blog!

anyways, juno was rad and you and stwart are so cool. i will call you guys for sure so we can go play!

mahina said...

sorry, don't know! but good luck. i don't envy you! mitch does our taxes, thank goodness. i'll ask him if he knows anything about bankrupt companies and taxes!

mahina said...

sorry, don't know! but good luck. i don't envy you! mitch does our taxes, thank goodness. i'll ask him if he knows anything about bankrupt companies and taxes!

Nana said...

I would call the IRS help line. If you qualify for a loss - ask about taking it in another year - hopefully Stu will be making more after school, and I think you can recoup losses for something like 3-5 years.

tutu lady said...

Hi Malia, An employer is required to send you a 1099 if you are independant contractor. Even if they are bankrupt they have to follow the tax laws. (I think they are required to send it by the last day of February for the previous year.) You will need some outside advise. Call Dad about this too. Love Ya'll

Michal said...

i used to be the one around here to do our taxes until we finally were doing a major business and decided to let a professional take over. i don't know the answer to your question, but i think that your moms gave you some great advice. if you get stuck on anything else, feel free to call me, too. i like to use taxact.com.

stg said...

Malia, I was so glad you found my blog. I stumbled across you blog a couple days ago too--the name "Mahina" gave it away. How many "Mahina's" do you come across, seriously. What a fun little blog you have. It's good to see that you still have laundry too, especially since here in Provo we have snow and laundry--so tragic. We are almost out of here and then we are not sure where we are off to, although it has to be warmer than here. It will be fun to keep in better contact this way...I'm excited.

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Hey, we are coming to Hawaii!!!!! We'll be there from April 20-26, we can't wait. Are you guys staying all summer or will you be going home? I hope we can see you, I think we're staying near turtle bay, we haven't completely decided yet, we'll let you know.