CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11-01

I had just moved away from home and was living in the dorms as a freshman in College at the University of Hawaii. I had been there for no more than a few weeks. I didn't have a TV or radio and got up and was on my way to class. I was on the shuttle from the dorms to upper campus when I heard on the radio the news reports of what was happening in new york. Class was canceled. I returned to my dorm and found friends with a TV. We sat and watched the news for most of the day. Watching video of fire and smoke billowing out of the building where a jet was now inside, we watched in horror as the second plane flew right into the 2nd World Trade Center building. It was like a scene from a movie... unfortunately this was real. There were no actors. There were no safety nets. There were no stunt doubles. Just real people with real lives and real families.

It was a day that I will always remember. And those images are ones I will never forget.

Where were you and what were you doing when you heard about the World Trade Centers?

http://911research.wtc7.net/essays/gopm/docs/lead_lg.jpg

3 comments:

Lisa Jarvie said...

Hi Malia--I was in my seminary class, and Danny Livingston walked in and said that a plane had just crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. I thought it must have been just an accident. Then, at the end of class, President Clayton came in and told the class that the United States had come under serious attack, and that we all needed to get on our knees and pray. No one who was in class that day will ever forget it. Then, when I got home, Jeff and I turned on the TV and saw the first tower completely collapse. I think that was the worst moment of the day for me. It was so awful to watch that happen live and realize I was witnessing the deaths of thousands of people.

Nana said...

My parents knew where they were when Pearl Harbor was attacked. I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot. WE all share September 11.
I was still home, getting ready to teach 1st grade. THe local morning news switched to NY after the first tower was struck, and I watched in disbelief as the second plane crashed. I remember the days after, when the only planes in the sky over LA were military, and the Spirit was so strong as everyone turned to prayer for the families of those who had been killed, and for our country. Sad that it takes disaster to bring us to our knees.

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

I remember feeling that day like my whole life had changed, and I think even though I wasn't there, I feel like it did. It's something I think about often and it's very emotional to try to understand what happened to so many lives that were effected. So many things rippled from it, it was so devastating and still is. I remember taping the whole day and I still have that tape, I should pull it out to remember a little more.