CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 30, 2008

One of God's Magnificent Creatures!

Since I didn't get to post these earlier... here are some pictures I took a couple weeks back. On a Sunday afternoon, Stuart and I drove on over to Waimea Valley. I had never been before but apparently there is a waterfall back there thats really nice. Unfortunately they now charge you to go back there however, before you get to the point where you have to pay its still beautifully green and they have these magnificent creatures walking around... or standing around... or posing there just for me to snap away.



The male peacock is so amazing to me! I don't know anything about them or their behavior or what it means. But this fellow seemed to either really enjoy the attention or was trying to distract our attention away from something else... if he was trying to distract us, it worked on me! He just stood there.... spun around a few times... even when little kids were walking really close to him he didn't seem to mind.



Sooo beautiful!


It was nice being up there and being able to take some pictures... the only downer was that there had to be a million mosquitoes up there and I felt like I was being eaten alive by them... I had pretty itchy legs the next couple of days, but it was worth it!

9 comments:

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

they make you pay to enjoy nature??? how lame!!! i have an interesting story about peacocks .. you should ask me sometime ...

Malia said...

haha ok kawika... I'll ask you sometime! Lucky you... you are the first to comment on this post!

tutu lady said...

Beautiful! Love the peacock. I have collected a few of their tail feathers. The male fans and shakes his feathers when trying to attract a female. Did you hear his cry? Very loud. Good job on the pictures. Were there more than one (1) of them?
We used go back to the waterfall and swim/climb the rocks and jump or dive off the top. They won't let you do that anymore. At that time you could walk back or pay for a shuttle to give you a ride. But you should go back to see it sometime. It's way cool. The last time we were there, the tourists asked if they could take their picture with my kids.(you kids) So your pictures are being treasured in some mainlanders scrapbook!

Lacey said...

Ok this is crazy! We just went to waimea falls on friday (Did you know you get in for free when you show them your PCC id?) and I saw this exact same peacock sitting on that exact same fence and took a million pictures of it too! I was all proud of getting one with all his feathers out and was showing seth my picture, and then that moment I just happened to look at your blog...and the same peacock is on your page!! ?? haha. Your pictures are a million times better though! I think this peacock likes to pose for pictures :)

Michal said...

malia, these are gorgeous photos. what an amazing, beautiful bird. thanks for sharing.

mahina said...

malia, that second photo is contest worthy! seriously you should get it on a stock photography website and start making $$ on your photography! you are really good!

i remember seeing mom's peacock feathers growing up!

Allison said...

What a fun Sunday afternoon! What a beautiful creature he is.

The Foys said...

How fun! and so beautiful!! =) Love the photos!...Hope all is well! Love you!!

Brooke said...

I love the pictures you have taken so far with your new camera!!! You are a great photographer!!!